It probably hasn’t escaped your notice that the LibDems had an Autumn Conference over the past few days?
It’s been a busy, informative and motivating four days, from last Saturday morning through to a rousing speech from Jo Swinson on Tuesday afternoon, ending with this message:
“This much I am sure of. The opportunity in front of us is huge. And it is for the taking. We can win. We must win. And to do so, we must build the biggest liberal movement this country has ever seen. Our job is to gather the forces of liberalism, and be the rallying point for change.”
There’s a feeling of optimism, energy and drive here. People are eager to get to work delivering on the policies that this and earlier conferences adopted.
You may have heard about some of the fantastic policies adopted by conference this week. Things like:
- A practical, considered climate change policy that maps out actions to get us to zero carbon by 2045 at the latest
- Our clear position on Revoking Article 50, if we form a majority in the House of Commons, campaigning for a People’s Vote otherwise. Should we form a government, this will enable us to get to work on healing the issues that led to the brexit vote
- Additional support for Young Carers
- Further Education support
- United against crime
- Building railways fit for this century
- And more…
You can catch up with all the policies and papers from Conference, as well as a round up of each day here.
Conference has been a great opportunity to meet other LibDems, from across the country. I’ve also caught up with friends made at my first conference in 2017.
Not only that, there was lots of great training available. So it’s been a challenge to work out how to get to everything you want to do.
It didn’t stop, thanks to a packed programme of fringe meetings, opportunities to talk with our MPs and Peers (including our newest members from the Parliamentary Party). Yes, I did happen to take a few selfies with them!
After an intense, tiring, and satisfying four days, I’ve come back home armed with lots of useful information and support.
Parliamentary Candidate for Crewe & Nantwich